A Look Back at My Breastfeeding Activism in 2018

It has been a busy year for breastfeeding advocates!

I, for one, have done important work with San Diego County Breastfeeding Coalition, BreastfeedLA, MomsRising and HealthConnect One. I am so thrilled about the positive feedback I continue to receive the renewed enthusiasm and commitment I continue to see in 2018. It's great to help to create a landscape of breastfeeding support across my community.

Read on about what we did this year. It is the engagement and action of my fellow activists that has made all of this happen:
  • In January, I produced a video "Things I Wish My Boss Know About Maternity Leave" for World Moms Network. 
  • In February, I responded to Mother’s Milk Bank’s emergency needs of donor’s milk and donated 200oz of my milk.

  • In March, I became a Birth Equity Leader at HealthConnect One. With the funding from the foundation, my colleagues at BreastfeedLA and I started a photo voice project that seeks to normalize breastfeeding in the Asian Community. 
  • In April, my baby I participate in the production of a series of Breastfeeding-Friendly Child Care Training videos.
 
  • In May, I joined my friends at Legal Aid At Work and called for support to SB 937, a new bill that would improve requirements for workplace accommodations in California. If passed, it would require a lactation room or location to include prescribed features. The Bill was, unfortunately, vetoed. 
  • It was reported in June that breastfeeding babies were separated from moms at U.S.-Mexico border. I drafted a statement for San Diego County Breastfeeding Coalition (SDCBC) that against the detention of immigrant children, noting it could affect health for a whole-of-society. 
  • In July it was reported that the U.S. Delegation to the United Nations-affiliated World Health Assembly (WHA) undermined a global resolution aimed at supporting breastfeeding. I responded the opposition by writing an OP-ED pieces for MomsRising.
 
  • In August, I produced a lactation themed video for World Moms Network in light of World Breastfeeding Week.
  • In September, I traveled to Taiwan for my new book tour and took a break from my breastfeeding advocating work. (For record, the book had nothing to do with breastfeeding.)
  • In October, I had the pleasure to serve as a panelist at BreastfeedLA’s 2018 summit. In a 90-minute panel, my fellow panelists explored how race, ethnicity, geographic location, place of birth and other factors have a direct correlation to breastfeeding.
  • In November, I applauded to the Friendly Airports for Mothers Act, which made U.S. airports a better place for eight our of 10 new mothers in the U.S. breastfeeding their babies (CDC, 2016)! 
  • In December, I wrote about holiday weaning, which means accidentally nursing less often due to traveling, busy holiday schedules, or surrounding by groups of family and friends, for SDCBC.
 

That’s just a snapshot! Before the year closes, let me thank all my family and friends that have supported my work and helped making all the changes happen!

Comments