A Look Back at My Activism in 2022


Ah, what a year!

This is the time of the year when my inbox if filled with fundraising emails--from MSF, WWF to my local Y and breastfeeding coalition, everyone is asking for support.

No, I'm not complaining. I'm grateful to read about all the great work being done around the world and across the country. 

In fact, I feel too many non-profit organizations, including San Diego County Breastfeeding Coalition where I serve as a volunteer blogger, have been too busy with day-to-day advocacy work and rarely have a chance to pause and reflect their accomplishments. 

That's why, at this time of each year, I write a blog to celebrate the achievement of San Diego County Breastfeeding Coalition. I also write a blog to reflect on what I have done to make a difference in the year. 

This year brought me a lot of changes--
  • I stepped down from the U.S. Breastfeeding Committee's board of directors to apply for a position at USBC. I didn't get the job (bummer!), but I tried. 
  • I wasn't involved in the World Breastfeeding Week, National Breastfeeding Month and AAPI Breastfeeding Week activities as I normally did because I was in Taiwan for the entire August for my new book tour.
  • I stepped down from all the positions I previous held at API Breastfeeding TaskForce, an organization I co-founded back in 2017.
On the other hand, I--
  • Continue to blog for San Diego County Breastfeeding Coalition. This month marks my ninth anniversary with the coalition. And I went to the Liquid Gala for the first time this year! As social awkward as I am, I had loads of fun and got plenty of selfies at the picturesque San Diego Yacht Club. 
  • Was recognized as a CHEER Champion by Boston University's CHEER (Center for Health Equity, Education, & Research) Center.
  • Continue to volunteer with MomsRising. (Read my Valentine's Day blog post for MomsRising here!)
Because my career is taking a turn (I previously covered maternal/infant health for nine years but starting this year I moved to education beat and now cover K-12 schools), I don't imagine myself continuing to participate in as much as lactivist work as I used to. With that being said, it might be my last "look back at my activism of the year" blog post. But I'll continue to blog about breastfeeding here and support Chinese-speaking breastfeeding families through my Facebook Page. Please come back to check!

And from the bottom of my heart, thank you everyone who stands with me this year! I wish you a very merry holiday season!

Comments