A Look Back at My Breastfeeding Activism in 2020

For many, this has been a year that feels very different, and I am no exception. But with my fellow activists, I was able to continue to create positive changes in my community by protecting and supporting breastfeeding. As I reflect at the end of the year, I recognize how lucky and blessed I am.

This year, I have: 

Continued to provide timely, well-referenced posts for San Diego County Breastfeeding Coalition’s blog. My top posts this year including:
  1. Mothers don’t breastfeed because they cannot afford formula. They formula feed because they cannot afford breastfeeding.
  2. Breastfeeding through COVID-19: Why and How?
  3. What if we include the work of “Breastmilk Production” in the GDP?
  4. I saved 51,690 gallons of water just by breastfeeding!
  5. Breastfeeding is a Vital Emergency Response.

Continued to serve as an advisor to HealthConnect One Foundation’s Birth Equity Leadership Academy and contributed to the development of the Birth Equity Action Network. I presented at the network’s online webinar while facilitating my first grader’s homeschool! 

Rebranded my Chinese-language breastfeeding activism Facebook page that was launched back in 2013. The page’s followers grew from 300-ish to 823 in this year. This month I have created 11 posts and reached 4,514 audiences. 

Co-launched and managed a multilingual breastfeeding support page for API Breastfeeding Task Force with information posts in English, Mandarin Chinese and Vietnamese. This month we have created 6 posts and reached 352 audience. Not super impressive but that’s a start!

Received the California Breastfeeding Coalition’s Golden Nugget Award for “Excellence in Removing a Key Barrier to Breastfeeding Social Norms” with my colleagues at BreastfeedLA. We were recognized with this award for creating the API Breastfeeding Task Force.

Recognized by HealthConnect One Foundation as one of the 2020 Community Health Worker of the Year. I was totally humbled seeing my name being listed with so many great health workers. 

Last but not least, my youngest child turned three in October and weaned himself in early November. With that being said, I have completed my breastfeeding mission! But I will always be here for breastfeeding families in my community. Now, let me wish you a peaceful holiday season, and let’s hope for a better year ahead! 




Comments